Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Lovely Nettie

Hi peeps,

here I am again.
I promised you to show off my Nettie (recently released by the talented Heather Lou) as soon as there are some adequate pictures... well, since my good friend Alexandra stayed with me last week, we made a few shots that I´m not totally ashamed of, so I can present to you my two Netties.

The third is still on my sewing table as this time I want to try out the snap crotch option and didn´t have the right supplies while making the first two versions. Number one, the high front neckline, the very low back neckline:



made from a black superthin and strechy spandex, more for dance class than actual street wear... but I like the dramatically low back.



I´m wearing an A-cup, if anything at all, so I excluded the breast-pads.

Version number two is a more everyday wearable piece, this time I made the scooped front and back neckline in a four-way-strech cotton/viscose blend in black and white stripes with red bias binding. Love this one:-)





Since I am a long-torsoed gal, I lengthened the body for about 3cm, seeing the pooling of fabirc at the back I think I will reduce that a little and make a swayback adjustment for number three. Also, the shoulders of Nettie are very narrow and tend to fall off  the shoulder... maybe I will lengthen them a little to stop the drop.



Paired with my red Hollyburn it´s a real showstopper :-)



I also like the sporty look the stripes provide.
I chose the 3/4 sleeves both times as I think this length suits me most. 



Ok, my legs are still as white as a Mozzarella cheese from Italy, but it is only the beginning of June and the sun didn´t grace us with her presence very often so far. There are still about 88 days until I leave for Down Under, so plenty of time left to accquire some tan :-)
Speaking of Australia, today I bought my first bottle of sunscreen with 50+. Never used it before, the sun isn´t that dangerous in these parts, but it´s good to be prepared.
Don´t think a Nettie will accompany me on this trip, I have to keep my luggage light. But still, I am really thrilled with this pattern and will definitely try a pattern hack with it, like cutting off the bottom and taking the top as a crop top with a high waisted pair of pants or a slim pencil skirt.... so versatile this pattern. It came together really fast and the description is easy to understand and follow. At first I thought a bodysuit is so 80´s and I never missed these pieces, but I rediscovered my passion for them. The striped one will be worn a lot this summer.

So, this is the last May post this year and I kept my pledge. Only thing I will change from now on is not to buy fabric randomly anymore, just because I like it. My stash is bursting already and it takes away from sewing sustainably and economically. 
I do sew for fun, but I want to focus more on sewing what I need not only what I like.

However, there is a new Perfect Pattern Parcel out and I would recommend it to any home sewer. This time there are even five patterns in it if you pay 28 Dollar or more. I think it´s a wonderful idea to pair up independent pattern designers and charity organisations to benefit from each other. As soon as I found out there is a new one, I got it. So the next dress on my cutting table will be the Staple dress from April Rhodes. Interested? Do pop over to Perfect pattern parcel and buy your copy of four/five lovely patterns to follow your passion and stuff your closet with beautiful selfmade garments AND do good with a donation to a charity organisation. Can´t be any better.

That´s about it for today peeps, see you in time to report about my new dress or more of these cute little cork-men I found in Berlin.

Happy sewing and stay safe.







No comments:

Post a Comment