Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fabric shopping in Nippori (Japan)

Hi sewing-folks,

it´s been a while since my last post (as usual), and this time I have a really good excuse:

I spent two months on a trip to Australia and Japan!

I cannot start telling you how beautiful and overwhelming it all was, you guys should definitely go there, if you´re looking for your next holiday destination!



Unfortunately I couldn´t take my sewing-machine, so there are no new makes coming from me right now, BUT I went fabric shopping during my last three days in Tokyo, and I bought a shitload of gorgeous stuff to be made into (hopefully) gorgeous clothes...


I also fell in love with the traditional garment of the Japanese women: the kimono.


After getting a little into the subject, I soon found out that it is almost a science to learn how to put on a kimono and which and how many pieces a kimono consists of. Not to mention the meaning a particular design can imply and what is considered siutable for a woman my age and social position.
I ended up buying a vintage kimono from a thrift shop (with the friendly assistance of a native speaking gentleman and a skillfull shop-assistant), but without all the undergarments, collars, ribbons, socks and shoes that normally accompany such an outfit. The kimono alone weighs over one kilogram and I couldn´t risk to have overweight in my backpack (as airlines have hefty prices for a few kilos overweight)...



Apart from that I bought lovely linens, a few Kokka-design cottons, a lovely brokade (to be made into either a box-pleated skirt or an egg-shaped 50ies inspired jacket) and some baby-jersey for a friend.


Being home again means having all my supplies and machines back into reach, but I´m strangely uninspired at the moment. Despite all the lovely fabrics I bought, I don´t feel the spark of joy I normally get when I find the right pattern for a fabric I love. Maybe I sill lack the right patterns?

Hm. For now, I blame it on the jet-lag. I still wake up at 5am and can´t go back to sleep.
I hope it will change soon. In the meantime, I will rumage through my closet and (fall-)clean it to make room for the winter wardrobe (which I sadly have to fetch from it´s storage in the cellar now) and hope inspiration will strike me soon.

I purchased a few patterns also during my stay, two at StyleArc.com, a Melbourne-based pattern company which you shouldn´t miss out on, and of course, PerfectPatternParcel#6 (which is no longer available).
Will soon present you with some makes from those, hopefully for sure.

Until then, 
happy sewing
and let me know if you have questions or suggestions

Milan


No comments:

Post a Comment